“A year after the ‘Pandora Papers’ scandal, the richest keep getting richer when the rest of society is struggling”

Ln October 3, 2021, a gigantic effort by the International Consortium of Investigative Journalists (ICIJ) uncovered the biggest tax scandal of all time: the “Pandora Papers”. They have confirmed once again – too often – that the richest 1% – world leaders, politicians, business leaders, oligarchs – believe that the rules do not apply to them and that their wealth is above the lives of the other 99%. .

Among the “protagonists” of this historic leak of documents, those who hide and increase their wealth to the detriment of society, we find the European leaders. The “Pandora Papers” thus revealed the real estate that Andrej Babis, then Czech Prime Minister, owns on the Côte d’Azur. Nothing objectionable. Unless they are held through companies domiciled in tax havens and that at least one operation has been carried out… in cash.

Also read: Article reserved for our subscribers “Pandora Papers”: A Global Dive Into The Secrets Of Offshore Finance

Also in France, the “Pandora Papers” have highlighted that many of our compatriots, leaders and elected politicians in particular, are concerned about evading taxes. The former mayor of Blois (Loir-et-Cher), Nicolas Perruchot, who was also a deputy and president of the Loir-et-Cher department, created an offshore company in the Seychelles. Dominique Strauss-Kahn, former minister and former managing director of the International Monetary Fund (IMF) or Sylvain Maillard, deputy of the LRM, are also cited as six hundred other rich French.

The Covid and its dividends

In 2021, Bruno Le Maire, already Minister of the Economy and Finance, then stated that it would be “intractable with those who have cheated.” And yet, the measures did not follow. Shell companies are still relevant. The blacklist of tax havens is still pending review, in light of the revelations.

Should we be surprised when, in addition, the policies of our government continue to favor, this time quite legally, the interests of the richest to the detriment of the rest of the population? The abolition of the wealth tax (ISF) by Emmanuel Macron has allowed the 0.1% of the richest to increase their fortune.

Also read: Article reserved for our subscribers Thomas Piketty: “After the revelations of the “Pandora Papers”, it is time to act”

Then came the abolition of certain taxes on production, including the total abolition of the contribution to corporate value added (CVAE), which further enriched large companies. To which the Covid and its dividends were added to not be able to anymore. The richest have continued to get richer, with the approval of a government that also chooses to hunt down a hypothetical social fraud.

You still have to read 56.67% of this article. The following is for subscribers only.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *