In Belgium, a victim of the 2016 attacks with great mental suffering obtained euthanasia

His name will have to be added to the list of the thirty-two victims of the Islamist attacks committed in 2016 in Brussels, in the Maelbeek metro and at Zaventem airport. The student was in the latter place, waiting for a plane to Rome on March 22. A few meters from one of the two suicide bombers who detonated high-powered bombs. Miraculously, Shanti De Corte, 17 years old at the time, was not injured, but she never recovered from her post-traumatic syndrome. The 23-year-old, constantly mired in great suffering and supported by her family and friends, decided to request euthanasia in April. This was done on May 7, but it was revealed just a few days ago.

Shanti De Corte’s mental pain was deemed unbearable and incurable by a college of doctors and psychiatrists, which made the act possible under Belgian law. An investigation opened by the Antwerp prosecutor’s office concluded that the rules had been respected. On Facebook, the young Fleming left an epitaph of her evoking her “departure in peace” and concludes with these words: “You know I miss you already. »

“A ghost that no longer feels anything”

On n’entendra donc pas le témoignage de Shanti De Corte au procès des auteurs présumés du double attentat de Bruxelles – elle n’avait d’ailleurs neither l’envie nor le courage d’y come –, alors that the audiences revealed to him 14 november. Initially set for October 10, they had to be postponed due, among other things, to a controversy over the conditions of appearance of the ten defendants. After a row from the defense lawyers, the president of the criminal court had ordered the dismantling of individual, closed and glazed boxes, in which Salah Abdeslam and his partners were found.

Also read: Article reserved for our subscribers Brussels attack trial postponed

The defendants will be confronted with the testimonies of some three hundred and seventy people who tried to overcome the shock of the attacks. Shanti De Corte, an orthopedic student, was unsuccessful, despite support from members of her circle, five friends, and her parents. She told them about her sleepless nights, her panic attacks at the sound of an ambulance in the street, her depression. Described as frail before the attacks, her condition continued to worsen during stays in a psychiatric unit, treatment with antidepressants and a suicide attempt. Testifying in the press, she wanted, for a moment, to appear as an example of the possible resilience of victims, but she failed, describing herself as “a ghost that no longer feels anything”.

You have 48.1% of this article left to read. The following is for subscribers only.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *