New trial of Harvey Weinstein begins in Los Angeles

This is a new trial that coincides almost daily with the 5th anniversary of the #MeToo movement. Already sentenced in New York, where he has been serving a 23-year prison sentence for sexual assault and rape since 2020, Harvey Weinstein is being tried this time in Los Angeles in a trial that could be important in the event of a victory for the fallen producer before the New York Court of Appeals, which accepted his appeal.

Harvey Weinstein faces eleven counts of allegedly raping and sexually assaulting five women at hotels in Beverly Hills and Los Angeles between 2004 and 2013. If convicted, Harvey Weinstein, who has pleaded not guilty to all charges, could be sentenced to more than 100 additional years. Behind bars

jury selection

The new trial opened Monday in Los Angeles under the supervision of Judge Lisa Lench with jury selection expected to last between one and two weeks, with closing arguments expected to begin on October 24. Harvey Weinstein appeared in a Los Angeles courtroom in a wheelchair, dressed in a dark blue suit and light blue tie. He must appear there during the next two months.

In all, nearly 90 women, including Angelina Jolie, Gwyneth Paltrow and Rosanna Arquette, have accused Harvey Weinstein of harassment, sexual assault or rape. But the statute of limitations has been exceeded in many of these cases, some dating back to 1977. The former producer is also charged in the UK with sexual assault dating back to 1996.

The wife of the governor of California among the accusers

Among the five accusers, who will appear in Los Angeles under the pseudonym “Jane Doe,” is Jennifer Siebel Newsom, the wife of Democratic California Governor Gavin Newsom, according to the Los Angeles Times.

“Like many other women, my client was sexually assaulted by Harvey Weinstein during an alleged business meeting that turned out to be a set-up,” her lawyer Elizabeth Fegan told the newspaper. “She intends to testify during her trial in order to obtain some form of justice for the victims and improve the status of women,” she added. Film producer Siebel Newsom previously wrote about Weinstein’s behavior in a 2017 essay but did not elaborate on the alleged attacks.

Great influence

According to Weinstein’s attorney, Mark Werksman, quoted by the Los Angeles Times, well-known personalities, seen “in movies, in advertisements,” will testify during the trial. The former producer has always ensured that all the accusers of him were consented.

The allegations are “unproven, uncredible and baseless,” Mark Werksman told reporters in July 2021, arguing there was no forensic evidence or credible witnesses to back them up.

Weinstein’s new trial also coincides with the premiere of the film ‘She Said’, which will premiere next week at the New York Film Festival and follows the investigation of the two New York Times reporters into the claws and misdeeds of the almighty producer.

Before his downfall, his influence in Hollywood was immense. Over the years, Weinstein-produced films such as Inglorious Bastards by Quentin Tarantino, received more than 300 Oscar nominations and 81 statuettes.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *