persecution after the murder of an Israeli soldier

Israeli forces are tracking a Palestinian man suspected of killing an Israeli soldier the day before in an armed attack in East Jerusalem on Sunday, amid a surge in violence in recent months.

Private Noa Lazar, 18, who served in the military police, died from gunshot wounds inflicted in Saturday night’s attack on the Shuafat checkpoint, a Palestinian refugee camp in East Jerusalem, an area occupied and annexed by Israel.

Israeli Prime Minister Yair Lapid promised on Sundayto bring to justice those responsible for this heinous crime“.”Terrorism will not win, we are strong despite this difficult afternoon“, he added while the young woman’s funeral is scheduled for Monday night after the start of the Jewish holiday of Sukkot.

Another Israeli man in his 30s was shot and seriously injured in the head in the attack and taken to Hadassah Hospital in Jerusalem, the facility said. Two border policemen were slightly injured by “fragments“, according to the police.

According to the Israeli police, the perpetrator of the attack is a 22-year-old Palestinian who lives in East Jerusalem. He was led by an accomplice to the checkpoint and opened fire on the officers on duty before fleeing to the camp.

After a tense night in Jerusalem, Israeli police on Sunday arrested four Palestinians suspected of “be involved in the attackand whose detention lasted for a week.

Israeli forces have blocked access to the camp, where they continue to track down the suspect despite Palestinian youths throwing stones at them, according to witnesses and police who said they were using “riot guns“.

Voltage multiplication

The Palestine Red Crescent Society said Israeli security forces prevented its rescuers from accessing the area. The Israeli human rights organization HaMoked urged the authorities to allow residents of the neighborhood to movethey have to go home, to work, to school or to the hospital“.

Early Saturday, two Palestinian teenagers identified as Ahmad Daraghmeh, 16, and Mahmoud al-Sousse, 18, were shot dead in a new Israeli army raid on Jenin, a stronghold of Palestinian armed factions in northern Israel. occupied West Bank, where soldiers were trying to arrest a suspected member of Islamic Jihad, an armed Palestinian group.

After deadly attacks against Israel in March and April, the army stepped up operations and arrests in the West Bank, Palestinian territory occupied by the Jewish state since 1967, especially in the Jenin and Nablus areas.

These Israeli incursions, often interspersed with clashes with the Palestinian population, left more than a hundred dead on the Palestinian side, the highest number of victims in the West Bank in almost seven years, according to the UN.

I am alarmed by the deteriorating security situation and the escalation of armed clashes between Palestinians and Israeli security forces in the West Bank.and in East Jerusalem, UN Middle East envoy Tor Wennesland said on Saturday.

In the face of violence in the West Bank, Mahmoud Abbas’s Palestinian Authority called on the United States to “increase pressure on Israel to end its all-out war against the Palestinian people“.

Israeli operationswill lead to an explosion and a point of no return, with devastating consequences for all“, warned Nabil Abou Roudeina, spokesman for President Abbas.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *