After more than two years of global pandemic, lockdowns and barrier gestures have left their mark, weighed down by the tidal wave of mental illness that has invaded France. If it is slowly starting to fade, according to the latest surveys from health authorities, we now have to deal with the plethora of anxiety-provoking information grabbing the headlines, not to mention the huge economic upheavals and many shortages that are currently going on. through society. In addition to this context that is not conducive to well-being, we are summoned by the ups and downs of everyday life, certain relationships that overwhelm us or even seasonal depression from which it is difficult for us to escape. With all these limitations, do you know if you’re really okay? Answers in 5 key questions.
Self-assessment to know your state of psychological health
In France, mental disorders are responsible for 35 to 45% of work absenteeism, recalls French Public Health. And, on average, 1 in 5 French people is affected each year by a mental health problem (depression, anxiety, stress, etc.). Figures so alarming that it would be necessary to evaluate their level of psychological well-being. To do this, let’s follow a method that we owe to the doctor of clinical psychology Carla Shuman. In Psychology Today magazine columns, she shares a simple technique for letting everyone know their state of mental health, by “proactively creating a mental wellness checklist that will allow us to stay in control of our emotions and create better experiences.”
To access “mental well-being”, as she calls it, the expert does not want to go through medication or therapy but rather an internal check-up through 5 simple questions. “Through mental wellness, we can proactively improve our mental health and protect ourselves from reaching a crisis point that would cause a breakdown in our emotional and psychological functioning,” explains Carla Shuman.
It is the world day of #Mental health.
There is no health without mental health, it is the basis of an individual’s well-being.
Territorial mental health project, prevention of #suicide… Discover the actions of the ministry ⤵
– Ministry of Health and Prevention (@Sante_Gouv) October 10, 2022
5 questions to take stock
These are the 5 axes around which we must question ourselves, according to her, in order to better tackle a welfare state:
- How do you feel now? “Increase your awareness of how you feel and how it affects your functioning. If you decide that you feel anxious, for example, rate the severity of your anxiety on a scale of 1 to 10. A lower score means that you are a little anxious and a higher score indicates more anxiety, “says the psychologist.
- How much does your emotional state affect your daily life? “If there are things you would do or relationships you could have without your anxiety, write them down. Everyone experiences anxiety, sadness, or fatigue at times. But the extent to which these experiences affect our lives determines whether we should do anything about it. If multiple areas of your life are affected by how you feel, it’s time to take action.”
- Identify your sources of social support. Friends, family, colleagues… Who can you turn to? “If you’re having trouble finding a confidante, this might be an area to explore with a therapist.”
- Think about what you want in the future. What are your projects? “Having experiences to look forward to on the calendar, as well as taking the concrete steps necessary to ensure they happen, can make difficult days more bearable.”
- Think about what you need to do to take care of yourself. What do you need ? “Determining how you feel and how it affects the way you are is the first important step. Assessing your resources and social support and identifying what you look forward to are additional steps on your mental wellness checklist.”
This checkup can be a good indicator of your state of mental health, but it’s still incomplete. These questions do not allow an in-depth diagnosis. For further evaluation, it is necessary to contact a psychologist. Conducted with a health professional, psychological evaluation provides a good understanding of a person’s cognitive, intellectual, and psychological functioning to better understand facets of their personality.
to go further
TEST – Evaluate your mental load